fall in love with yourself this summer because no one is more important than you
Summer’s almost here and with it comes vibrant swimwear and unforgettable moments. Social media adverts adapt in the worst way possible (because now I really want to buy everything) and everyone’s making plans that are short of out of this world. It’s a hectic season, to say the least. Routines get messed up too and other people’s plans become our own.
Summer gets in the way of ourselves sometimes so today I’m sharing with you 21 ways you can fall in love with yourself this summer because self-love should never be put on the back burner.
how to fall in love with yourself this summer
1. Read that book you’ve been putting off. I love reading as much as the next guy but have you ever had a book in your collection that you just know you’re going to love? The summer is such a vibrant time in our lives, so do yourself a favour and read that book to make your summer as magical as ever and show yourself some love.
2. Wear what you want, and mean it – because with the summer comes the pressure of wearing certain things. I mean it when I say wear what you want. If that includes vibrant bikinis or oversized graphic t-shirts then go for it and be confident in your choice. Don’t let anyone pressure you into wearing what they think is appropriate for the occasion. The best way to love yourself is by prioritising what makes you feel most comfortable.
3. Have a solo dinner date, because there’s no one more important you can spend quality time with than yourself. Give yourself the love and care you usually give another person because you are worth the effort.
4. Take long, mindful walks. I harp on taking long, stress-free walks. Don’t worry about what you look like, or your step count. Instead, live in the moment and enjoy everything around you because when was the last time you gave yourself that luxury?
5. Do something you’re good at. I draw a lot, but you know life gets busy and the things you love doing or are good at get put on the back burner. So this summer focus on doing the things that’ll bring you the most joy because you drive that happiness.
6. Buy yourself some flowers. It’s cliche but when has it ever not worked? It doesn’t even have to be flowers, giving yourself the kind of gift that’s more often meant for someone else is the kind of self-love you’ll never be able to replicate. Don’t wait for someone to get you that thing you’ve been wanting, because your self-worth doesn’t lie in the pockets of another.
7. Update your wardrobe. Summer is a season of change, so update your wardrobe to reflect the sunny skies and the excitement that comes along with the change in your life. You can only keep going forward. Plus, who doesn’t love some new clothes?
8. Make a list of the people you love – Appreciating the people and things we love is long overdue. A quick reminder, especially if you write it down, is more powerful than you think because it also serves as self-reflection. And who knows, maybe you’ll finally cut ‘that’ person out of your life. You know the one
9. Make the effort to hang out with the people you love – making a list is great, but spending time with the people you truly care about will bring nothing but joy to your life and hopefully theirs.
10. Write a letter to yourself – Writing letters is a bit dated, but that’s exactly why you should. Falling in love with yourself is easier said than done, but it begins with giving yourself the time and care it’ll take to write a real letter. Write whatever you want but make it positive and feel free to date it for opening later as something to look forward to.
11. Create an exciting playlist. Summer is the more joyful season, so with that comes along upbeat music playing through every story and a plethora of songs that’ll never get out of your head. But I think that’s a good thing. Having a mixed playlist is fun, but I know everyone can benefit from a mood-boosting playlist, especially on those days you feel more down in the dumps.
12. Don’t hold back on your favourite body and skincare. I’m super guilty of doing this. And I find it kinda suffocating to deprive yourself of something so small. Favourite body oils and perfumes are great for a special occasion, but aren’t you just as important? I’m a huge believer in using and wearing your favourite stuff anytime, anywhere because how can you not fall in love with yourself while
14. Deep clean because you should enjoy yourself and the space around you. The best kind of deep cleaning is done over a few days because it’s less daunting, and I think the home gets cleaned a lot better than if you tried to get it all in a day.
15. Practice positive self-talk – I’m a huge believer in positive affirmations because I used to be my most harsh critic. Words are powerful, there’s no denying that. So practice self-love this season by using kind words on yourself.
16. Make every day your cheat day. Summer rolls around and diet culture takes off like it always does. The idea of the ‘perfect summer body’ gets pushed around on social media and many women fall prey to the idea. I say screw having the perfect body, focus on being healthy, feeling your best and eating the right foods that make you happy.
17. Time for a digital detox because we all need a break sometimes, especially from social media. It’s over stimulating and sometimes we forget the internet isn’t always what it seems. It’s okay to have a boring day or a boring week. Make up for missing the latest beauty trends by showing yourself some love.
18. Create a workout routine you can love. Summer bodies are on the rise and diet culture is as toxic as ever but that doesn’t mean exercise is off the table. Creating a workout routine you can love is the ultimate way you can guide yourself to loving your body. Don’t make the mistake of forcing yourself into an exercise routine you find daunting, no matter how trendy it is.
19. Give back to your community. Whether that’s through volunteering, donating or simply being nice to the next-door neighbour, giving back is a wonderful way to bring positivity into your life as well as the life of others.
20. Remember your accomplishments because what better way to love yourself this summer than by remembering everything you’ve done to get here? So get a notebook or use music to take a trip down nostalgia lane because everything you’ve done to get here has been worth it in some ways.
21. Go on a picnic with yourself or a friend. Picnics are a special kind of fun and the perfect way to spend a summer day.